Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hello 2013

Well a new year to start fresh, hello 2013. I hope to make it a learning experience with an old hobby that will be a new hobby this year. Thirty years ago, before kids, work and quilting or sewing, I enjoyed taking photos with a couple of 35mm cameras that I owned. I have shoot bald eagles, wild flowers and volcanoes in Alaska to Hawaiian rainbows and night stars. Pretty much when the kids started to come along, experimenting and developing 35mm film became an expense that went to the way side. Well I decided to take the plunge and get a DSLR this Christmas. I really didn't think that I would have to much problems, since I used to play with special effects on the 35mm, it should be like riding a bike. LOL. The realm of having to think of all three aspects of taking a picture for the past week, as opened my eyes that its' not like riding a bike, more like learning to climbing a mountain. One step at a time.
So one of my goals this year is to post more often on the blog. Making new friends in online. Posting pictures of different things as I learn how to use my new toy. Hopefully at least once a week, maybe two or three times I will post a picture and what I have learned about it.
I have only had the camera a couple of weeks, I was really hoping for some great photos of my grand kids at Christmas opening presents, but several of them came out blurry. One thing that I learned is don't assume that auto with a DSLR means that the camera thinks for you and you don't have to think, like a point and shoot camera. I could not figure out why the shutter speed was so slow, till a couple of days later and the aspect of understanding the three elements of a taking DSLR pictures made me realize that the learning curve just got a little bit steeper for me. With a 35mm film camera, you set the film speed to the speed of the film that you placed in the camera, set the needle of the aperture so that it meters in the middle and focus the picture. Pretty simple after you do it a few times. But with the DSLR you can manipulate the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO to get the shot in almost any lighting condition. Pretty exciting to me, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn and even see how I can incorporate it into my quilting.
Anyway out of about 300 photos that I have taken, 90% of them I have deleted in trying to learn the camera. A good thing I didn't have to develop the film. Don't you love the digital world. Click, delete and try again. Of the handful pictures that I have kept, looking forward to a the new year, new week and new hobby. Enjoy.






No comments: